Town to create

children’s park

RED SPRINGS — The groundwork for a renovated park for children that will be ready by spring was laid Tuesday by the Board of Commissioners.

The commissioners and the town’s Recreation Commission will hold a public hearing at 6 p.m. on Jan. 18 during which they are expected vote to dedicate the new Brown Street Park for children. Playground equipment is scheduled to arrive in early February.

The park, located off N.C. 211 on the north side of town, was formerly a general use park. The project will cost the town $7,500.

***

Electrical, heating

failure closes schools

Electricity and heating failures closed three Cumberland County schools Wednesday.

A power failure forced the closure of Stedman Elementary and Stedman Primary school buildings, while Westover High was shut down when its heating system failed.

Students in Stedman were sent to Mac Williams Middle School, while Westover High scheduled Wednesday as a teacher workday.

***

Home invasions

leads to 2 arrests

CLINTON — Two men are behind bars following an early-morning home invasion at a Clinton home on New Year’s Day, during which they allegedly demanded money and fired at least one gunshot. One of the three residents was able to call 911 and alert authorities while the suspects were still at the home, leading to their swift apprehension.

Sampson County sheriff’s deputies arrested Cristhian Josue Gutierrez, 22, of Clinton, and Elvis Migdonio Reyes, 24, of Clinton and charged them both with first-degree burglary, first-degree kidnapping and robbery with a dangerous weapon. Reyes received an additional charge of possession of cocaine.

Reyes and Gutierrez were placed in the Sampson County Detention Center under bonds of $350,000 and $325,000, respectively.

***

Firefighter pulls

man to safety

TABOR CITY — A Tabor City firefighter rescued a man from his burning mobile home Tuesday night.

During the blaze, firefighter Greg Cox managed to pull Joseph Maye, 69, from his residence. Maye suffered burns and smoke inhalation and was airlifted to UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill. Cox also suffered smoke inhalation, but was treated and released at Loris McLeod medical Center.

The fire happened around 8 p.m. on Swamp Fox Highway East.

— From staff and wire reports.

http://www.bladenjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/web1_web1_depositphotos_34906627-News-concept-regional-news-on-1-1.jpg
comments powered by Disqus