Non-U.S. Citizens Can Apply for FEMA Assistance

RALEIGH, N.C. – North Carolina residents who are non-U.S. citizens and survivors of Hurricane Matthew may be eligible for disaster assistance if they have a Social Security number or permanent resident card (green card) or if a minor child who lives in the household has a Social Security number. To qualify for assistance from FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program, you or at least one member of your household must be one of the following:

  • A non-citizen national of the United States
  • A qualified alien (a green card holder or someone with legal status due to asylum, refugee, or other humanitarian reason)

You will be asked to sign a Declaration and Release form stating that you are a non-citizen national or a qualified alien. If you cannot sign the Declaration and Release, another adult household member who is eligible can sign it.

Undocumented parents and guardians can apply on behalf of a minor child who lives with them and who is a U.S. citizen or a qualified alien and has a Social Security number. FEMA or the Social Security Administration can help you obtain a Social Security number for a minor child (Social Security Numbers for Children). FEMA does not ask questions about citizenship or immigration status of other household members and no information will be gathered.

Disaster survivors may register any of the following ways:

—Online at

—Call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 for voice, 711 and Video Relay Service. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech disability and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585.

—Download the FEMA Mobile App and apply.

Calls will be answered from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EDT seven days a week until further notice. Multilingual operators are available.

Help may also be available to all people impacted by Hurricane Matthew and the subsequent flooding from voluntary agencies by calling 2-1-1, a statewide information and referral service. If using a relay service call 877-541-7905. Programs such as Crisis Counseling, Disaster Legal Services and other short-term, non-cash emergency assistance are available to individuals and families regardless of citizenship status.

Your information is confidential. FEMA shares that information only with the state and designated agencies that provide disaster assistance, with your permission only.

comments powered by Disqus