Last updated: May 22. 2014 4:23PM - 10311 Views
By - swillets@civitasmedia.com



Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

PEMBROKE — A Pembroke man previously charged with manslaughter is back in jail after raping, beating and holding a woman against her will 17 hours, according to Erich Hackney, an investigator with the District Attorney’s Office.


Vernar Junior Hammonds, 49, was charged this morning with second-degree rape, second-degree kidnapping, assault by strangulation and assault inflicting serious injury.


The woman was treated at Southeastern Regional Medical Center for a fracture, bruises, cuts and abrasions, Hackney said.


According to Hackney the woman was beaten, strangled and sexually assaulted for two hours beginning just after midnight on Saturday and was not allowed to leave until about 15 hours later. Hackney declined to release the location where the assault occurred.


“I am concerned for the victim’s safety at the point when Mr. Hammonds is able to make his bond and is released, whenever that might occur,” Hackney said.


Hammonds was jailed at the Robeson County Detention Center under a $105,000 secured bond and is scheduled to appear in court Friday morning.


Hackney said Hammonds, who lives on Canal Road, was previously convicted on charges of assault on a female, breaking, entering and larceny and possession of marijuana.


Hammonds spent 18 months in jail on charges of involuntary manslaughter for his role in the March 2003 beating of 57-year-old Edward Phillips. Edwards was attacked by five people following a drug deal and was left unconscious on U.S. 301, where he was struck and killed by a tour bus.

Comments
comments powered by Disqus


Featured Businesses


Poll



Info Minute