Part of U.S. 301

will be closed

LUMBERTON — A section of U.S. 301 southeast of Hope Mills will be closed starting Thursday, March 15, and for the rest of the year.

The closure is to allow the replacement of a bridge where the northbound lane of U.S. 301 splits off and crosses the southbound on-ramp to Interstate 95 in Cumberland County, according to information from the state Department of Transportation. The project’s scheduled completion date is Dec. 31.

A 1.2-mile detour around the construction site will be established. Northbound motorists will need to turn left on Shipman Road to N.C. 59 and right on U.S. 301.


Man facing charges

after vehicle pursuit

CLINTON — A Roseboro man already facing charges for allegedly attempting to elude law enforcement in Texas has now been charged following a vehicle pursuit in Sampson County.

Bryan Oneal Wheeler, 30, was charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon on a government official, fleeing to elude arrest with a motor vehicle, resisting public officer, failing to heed light or siren, false license/permit in committing a felony, injury to personal property, driving while license revoked and driving left of center.

He also received charges of simple possession of a Schedule VI controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.

He was placed in the Sampson County Detention Center under $100,000 secured bond.


Bloods gang leader

sentenced to 35 years

FAYETTEVILLE — Genesis Lee Whitted Jr. “Gen” or “Juice Man,” a well-known gang leader, was sentenced this week to 35 years in prison.

Whitted was the leader of a violent Bloods gang in Fayetteville that trafficked cocaine and robbed other drug dealers at gunpoint.

Whitted, 28, of Fayetteville, was found guilty in October.


Shooting erupts

at birthday party

TABOR CITY — Tabor City Police were summoned to Club 15 on Jarvis Street around 3:15 a.m. Saturday to investigate a shooting.

Around 75 people were in the club for a birthday party when a black male opened fire outside, then entered the building with an SKS rifle. The suspect was reportedly still shooting inside the club when officers were dispatched.

No one was reported injured in the incident, which is still under investigation.

— From staff and wire reports.