Fast-food eatery

reopens after fire

ST. PAULS — There was no shortage of customers Tuesday for the grand opening of the Hardee’s that closed nearly three months ago because of a fire.

Cars lined up at the drive-through as the char-broiled burgers were again being served, and business was brisk during the noon hour inside as well.

The St. Pauls and Big Marsh fire departments responded to the grease fire at the Hardee’s at 507 W. Broad St. in St. Pauls on Christmas Day. Rapid response time and a fire suppression system in the restaurant are credited for the minimal damage done to the building.


Fort Bragg NCO

arrested for assault

FORT BRAGG — The Harnett County Sheriff’s Office arrested a high-ranking non-commissioned officer at Fort Bragg and charged him with domestic abuse following a reported fight with his girlfriend.

Sgt. Maj. Linwood Barrett, a member of the 82nd Airborne Division’s G-6 Staff, was charged Tuesday with violating a domestic violence protection order.

Deputies responded to a March 4 domestic incident at Barrett’s home on Coswell Court in Cameron, and his girlfriend said he had assaulted her. Investigators found further evidence to back up her claims and charged Barrett with assault on a female and assault by strangulation.

He was released on an unsecured bond.


Robbery try nets

suspect nothing

ROSEBORO — A male suspect reportedly attempted to rob the Dollar General on N.C. 24 at gunpoint Monday at about 9 p.m., but was thwarted when the clerk could not open the register, fleeing from the store moments later, according to Sampson County Sheriff’s officials.

The investigation into the attempted robbery is ongoing.

The suspect was described only as a black male. He was reportedly wearing a black hoodie, black pants and a blue undershirt.


Toddler unharmed

after midnight walk

WHITEVILLE — The mother of a toddler may lose custody after the girl was found in a busy intersection about 12:30 a.m. several blocks from home.

Whiteville police say the child’s mother put the little girl to sleep at home, then went to get something to eat. When the girl woke up and couldn’t find her mom, she left the house to look for her.

The case has been turned over to DSS and the child is in the care of family members

From staff and wire reports.