RALEIGH –The Clarkton School of Discovery bridge-building team earned a third-place finish on Friday, April 20, in the annual state-wide Model Bridge Building Competition.
Students from Polk County Early College and Polk County Middle School took top honors in the two divisions — high school and middle school.
Sponsored by the N.C. Department of Transportation and the Carolinas Associated General Contractors, the groups have hosted the event annually since 2000 to encourage students to develop math and science skills. Students work in teams, allowing them to also demonstrate critical thinking, problem solving, communication, and research abilities.
During the competition, teams were judged in four categories: written report, oral presentation, design drawing and model efficiency.
The other winners in the competition were:
• Middle School: West Pine Middle School, Moore County
• High School: Franklin Academy, Wake County
• Middle School: Clarkton School of Discovery, Bladen County
• High School: North Moore, Moore County
• Middle School: NCMSEN-Pre College, Wake County
• High School: Camden Early College, Camden County
First place teams received $500 each for their schools. Prizes also went to schools finishing in second place ($400), third place ($300) and fourth place ($200).