Talking about plaid, Ford and Hylton

Random thoughts while peering through Kevin Harvick’s plaid haze …

Seriously, what was with the Busch beer plaid thing last weekend at Talladega? It was on Harvick’s car, the fire suit and even the little Busch Pole Award flag Harvick got for winning the pole. It reminded me of my days working in Scotland County. And no one wants that.

More than 50 percent of the medals won by Great Britain in the 2012 London Olympics were won in sports where the athlete is sitting down or kneeling.

Speaking of athletes who are sitting, the GEICO 500 last weekend at Talladega was the first race since Daytona that there were 40 athletes sitting in NASCAR Cup cars at a single event.

In Japan only 2 percent of adoptions are of children — the other 98 percent are adult males age 25 to 30.

NASCAR announced last week that it had acquired ARCA. I am not quite sure what to make of this. Traditionally, the stock car pipeline has worked something like this: ARCA to Trucks to Xfinity to Cup. I have said for a while that if I were in control of NASCAR, the first thing I would do would be to eliminate the Xfinity Series. I think the purchase of ARCA may be a move in this direction.

To avoid being caught speeding by a speed camera, you have to be traveling at 28,000 miles per hour.

I may be the only one, but I hope Danica Patrick has a good run in the Indianapolis 500.

More than a third of the world’s smokers are Chinese.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. and wife Amy welcomed their first child Tuesday evening. I bet the kid is already faster than I am.

Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition; they were legally obligated to give a 30-day notice.

The preliminary entry list for this week’s race in Dover came out Tuesday. Derrick Cope is on it. This leads me to one question: why?

I am honestly shocked at how well Ford is doing this year in the Cup Series. Of the first 10 races of the year, the blue-oval teams have won five. Not what I expected from the manufacturer working with the oldest car in the series.

Kurt Vonnegut ran America’s first Saab dealership.

If you haven’t seen the video of the 3-year-old kid “running” home during a t-ball game, you have to find it right now. He kind of reminds me of Rick Flair strutting to the ring, just in ultra-slow motion.

We should send Dale Jr. some white New Balances. #dadmode

Archibald Clark West, the man who invented Doritos, had them sprinkled on his grave.

The Ricky Benton Racing team made its second Cup start at Talladega last week with driver Timothy Peters (who was making his first career start) behind the wheel. Peters kept the car out of trouble, crew chief Mike Hester (from Bladenboro) made some great calls and they finished 23rd, the highest of the non-chartered teams. Nice work for a team building Cup cars with three full-time guys.

A study by Queen Mary University in London showed that goats have accents.

The racing world lost one of its long-time stalwarts, even if he wasn’t well known. James Hylton and his son were killed in a non-racing auto accident outside of Atlanta last weekend returning from Talladega. Ned Jarrett, who won the NASCAR championship in 1965 was the last champion that Hylton, 83, had not raced against. I met him at Rockingham in 2009 when he ran an ARCA race at 75. He had plans to race again this year. Fascinating guy and a real racer.

He will be missed.

Andy Cagle can be reached at andycagle78@gmail.com.

https://www.bladenjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/web1_Andy-Color.jpg